- Urban Platform
- Rue de l'Harmonie 1, 1000 Brussels
- ASBL Buurtwerk Noordwijk - Lokaal dienstencentrum De Harmonie
The project reconstructs the building marking the corner as a strong architectural signal. This takes the shape of a massive volume, like a monolith, in which openings have been sculpted:
1) vertical and horizontal excavations to draw light in, down to the basement;
2) terraces set back in the interior of the volume. These covered terraces, clad in a different material and bearing a different colour, contrast with the façade;
3) windows set in the façade following a random pattern.
A number of sloping roofs makes it possible align the building harmoniously with the existing neighbouring constructions.
The service centre takes shape around the social restaurant with its adjacent kitchen. The main open staircase invites people to come in and take part in one of the activities organized around the central void.
The dwellings are arranged on 4 levels and are accessible to people with reduced mobility. Besides a mix of 1- and 2-bedroom apartments, there is a cohousing project for old people comprising 3 individual bedrooms.